Most people reach for coffee or tea in the morning to get that much needed energy boost, however you should try introducing matcha tea to your morning routine. If you’re not familiar with matcha, it’s a finely ground powdered tea you can simply whisk with hot water or add milk to create matcha tea lattes. Matcha originates from East Asia, where it’s commonly used during traditional Japanese tea ceremonies. However, there’s been a large increase in popularity over the past few years – and for good reason, matcha tea is a powerful superfood that provides numerous health benefits.
Here are 5 reasons why you should drink matcha tea:
- Boosts immune health: matcha is rich in catechins, which are antioxidants that help your body counteract the effect of harmful free radicals such as pollution, radiation, and chemicals. This prevents cellular and DNA damage and lowers your risk of chronic diseases.
- Helps prevent cancer: the catechin EGCg, provides cancer-fighting properties. Studies have shown that matcha tea can potentially inhibit the growth of tumors and cancer stem cells in your body. And according to the National Cancer Institute (NCI), EGCg can also help promote cancer cell destruction.
- Improves brain function: matcha is rich in L-Theanine, a unique amino acid which promotes alertness and calmness, and improves cognitive function. Also, the caffeine in matcha leads individuals to have faster reaction times, increased attention, and enhanced memory, as shown in past studies.
- Boosts energy levels: matcha contains about half the amount of caffeine that’s in coffee, however it still provides a substantial increase in energy. Matcha is perfect for individuals who are sensitive to caffeine, so you’ll still be able to get that boost of energy without experiencing any of the caffeine jitters or crashes that may occur after drinking coffee.
- Boosts metabolism and burns calories: matcha has been linked to speeding up metabolism and weight loss. The catechins found in matcha provide a thermogenic effect, which helps accelerate the fat burning process in your body. Studies have shown that matcha tea drinkers experience a reduction in body fat composition.