From breakfast to lunch and from lunch to dinner, sometimes you can’t help reaching for snacks for a midday pick-me-up. Instead of reaching for highly processed candy, cookies, or potato chips all the time, try switching to healthier options. We listed 5 snack recommendations below; These snacks are both balanced and nutritious and they’re bound to satisfy your midday hunger cravings without any feelings of guilt from eating junk food.
- Vegetables and Hummus: Vegetables such as carrot sticks, sliced bell peppers, celery, and cherry tomatoes are great when paired with a hummus dip. Hummus is a delicious dip made from ground chickpeas, tahini, lemon, and spices. It’s packed with fiber, plant-based protein, and contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.
- Greek Yogurt (with Granola or Fresh Berries): Greek yogurt has about twice the amount of protein and half the amount of sugar as traditional yogurt does. It’s packed with vitamins and probiotics to promote healthy gut bacteria and digestion. Top your yogurt with a drizzle of honey, granola, or fresh berries for a tasty snack.
- Mixed Nuts: assorted nuts are a healthy snack option high in fiber and protein. Peanuts, pistachios, almonds, and cashews are loaded with anti-inflammatory antioxidants and may even aid with weight loss and a reduction in cholesterol. Nuts are available in a wide variety of options; you can enjoy them raw or dry-roasted, and either plain, salted, or seasoned.
- Apples and Peanut Butter: this is a great pairing that’s both delicious and nutritious. Apples are a great source of carbs and fiber, while peanut butter is packed with healthy fats and protein.
- “Healthy” Chips: potato chips are a popular snacking option, but they’re often high in saturated fats and sodium. If you enjoy the crunch of eating chips, try opting for a healthier alternative such as veggie chips, cauliflower chips, cassava chips, or plantain chips.